I recently had half a package of firm tofu left over from another recipe, so I decided to make an Indian meal with it. Luckily, I found a jar of Trader Joe’s Masala Simmer Sauce in the back of my pantry. After a quick Google search, I stumbled across a recipe for Quick Indian Soup from Inside the Kaganoff Kitchen.
Here is my adapted version:
- Firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- Trader Joe’s Masala Simmer Sauce (you can use another brand, but I prefer TJ’s!)
- Onions, diced
- Carrots, sliced
- Broth or bouillon
- Rice (I used Cashew Basmati microwavable rice from Target)
- Hot pepper, chopped (optional)
- Canned tomatoes (I didn’t have any but I bet they’d be good!)
In a pot, cook onions and carrots in olive oil over medium until onions are translucent. Add simmer sauce and two cups of broth or two cups of water with two bouillon cubes. Simmer on medium-low until carrots are soft. Add tofu and heated rice; simmer until all ingredients are warmed.