You know those days where you feel like the Energizer Bunny? Like nothing can slow you down? I had one of those days– and it’s continuing into the evening (while everyone I know is at North Hills Beach Music Fest, unfortunately. Ah, the life of a small business owner).
- Massive amounts of client work (including scheduling posts from awesome bloggers like Emily of Dear Serendipity on the Fit in Clouds blog!)
- Designed a button to sign up for my Scintillatingly Simple Strategies email list (oh you’re not on it yet? No problem!)
- Emailed approximately 10 million freelance web designers and developers in the area
- Created the beginnings of a directory of freelance web designers and developers in the Triangle area (oh you’re not on it yet? No problem!)
- Ordered mini business cards from Over Prints (I was scolded by Linda at the Digital Marketing for Business conference- you win, Linda)
- Hired Christie to design a PDF template that reflect my business brand so that I can put my massive amount of Google docs into mini e-book form
- Signed up for ODesk to find a web developer
- Met with Tivi Jones about her awesome digital marketing company (love her branding!)
- Emailed one of my new contractors with the subject line “You’re kicking butt.” Body of the email: “That is all.”
- Met with two other potential contractors and taught them about the joys of sourcing
- Chatted with another potential contractor on the phone
- Emailed several people about making a video intro for one of my clients
- Created a Google doc to track WordPress themes that I love (have any that you love?)
- Weeded through and responded to tons of HARO queries (hello, free publicity)
Want to hire CMR Strategies? Email me! Want to work with CMR Strategies as a digital marketing contractor? Email me! Want to make a video or design a website for CMR Strategies? Email me!
The past few months have been pretty eventful- I got laid off, started a business, endured winter, etc. Tons of great stuff happened, but it’s been challenging, especially getting in the groove with work. I feel like the beginnings of spring changed my mood dramatically! I’ve also been working hard to get systems and strategies in place so that I’m not feeling so overwhelmed.
I had a dream the other night that someone was complaining that my blog used to be fun but wasn’t anymore. So here is my attempt to bring back the fun!
- Last Wednesday, I volunteered at the Food Bank of Central and Eastern NC with Change the Triangle. I love CTT’s big Saturday events, but it was great to have a chance to volunteer during the week with a smaller, more intimate group.
- Last Thursday, I attended Women for Success‘ inaugural event. The organization is a “giving network comprised of passionate young professionals who support Dress for Success Triangle NC and its mission to promote the economic independence of disadvantaged women.” Delicious food + drink tickets + winning my first ever raffle + supporting a great cause!
Photo credit: Women for Success
- On Saturday, I went to Change the Triangle’s event with Carolina Tiger Rescue, which was a great volunteer event as always! Great weather + awesome young adults + tigers and lions = a great way to spend a Saturday.
- I came up with two fun April Fools pranks…one on behalf of Fit in Clouds, where I introduced our new line of stuffed animal rollable flats. The biggest surprise for me? Apparently people liked the shoes and wanted to buy them! Sorry, guys (but maybe I’ve found Fit in Clouds next big revenue-maker?).
- I wanted to play a joke on my boyfriend but I didn’t want anything too mean (break-ups and pregnancy scares = not that funny, shockingly). I convinced him that I spontaneously decided to buy a puppy, which definitely surprised and concerned him, considering I hadn’t talked about it at all. Sorry Chris!
- Speaking of my boyfriend- I got to spend all Sunday with his family celebrating Easter. Tons of Easter-y food + wine + football in a dress and flats + buffalo crack dip + great weather!
- Like I said, the spring weather is doing wonders for my mood! My windows are currently open, I have new balcony furniture, and I can take mid-day walks to Starbucks in flip flops = enough said!
- One of my best friends from college texted me the other day to ask if she could spontaneously come to North Carolina in a few days. I think my text back looked something like: “YESSSSS! COME! WEEEE.” I miss her so much and can’t wait to plan a fun weekend.
- I’ve recommitted to getting enough sleep, which has done wonders already, especially not that I’m all caffeine-free all the time!
- I invited a new friend to meet for coffee- hooray for going out on a limb to meet new people
- My sister and I took a Pilates class last night, which was my first one in quite awhile. I love the feeling of sore abs. Next up: tennis!
- I’m currently making a Spring/Summer 13 playlist on Spotify. Gotta prep for beach trips and days out at the pool!
- I’ve been back in the kitchen recently! My most recent recipe win: sweet potato gnocchi with kale, sage, and chicken. YUM!
What are you excited about this week?
I miss my little blog! For the past few years, it’s been a consistent place for me to document my day-to-day happenings, my favorite recipes (especially during my transition to gluten-free eating), my career journey, and my advice for dominating the online world through online presence management. As I said before, I always hear other people say that their blog is the first thing to go when they get busy, but that hasn’t been the case for me- until now.
I’ve been trying to make an effort to get offline more, especially now that my entire job consists of online work. Pinning recipes is not the same as making them. Looking at images of yoga poses is not the same as going to yoga class. Reading book reviews is not the same as reading books. I’m trying to remember all of that, but this blog still holds a special little place in my heart, so it still is a priority for me.
Best of all, I find that I’m actually more motivated to do fun, challenging, and exciting things in the “real world” when I blog consistently. Not that blogging about cool things is my only motivation to do them, but it’s a great reminder when I’m “forced” to do scintillating activities so I can report back here on them.
And speaking of cool things- I’m headed to San Francisco (again!)
today as we speak. One of my new clients is based outside the city, so I will be working from the office for a few days. Remote work is great but nothing beats face-to-face interaction every once in awhile. I’ll be getting to know my colleagues, meeting my boyfriend’s brother, seeing a bit more of the city, and hopefully meeting up with some people I know there. One thing I didn’t do before that I want to do this time around is see Lombard St!
If you live in San Francisco and would like to grab a meal or drink, feel free to reach out!
On the 4th day of our cruise, four of us took a catamaran to go snorkeling in Nassau. It was such a fun experience and I would highly recommend it- luckily we didn’t have any scary eel or water snake run-ins!
When we got on the catamaran, we plopped down in the trampoline-y area where some of our cruise friends were. My friend and I proceeded to take out the plastic microphones that we had brought along and force everyone in our little area to introduce themselves to the group. When it was my turn, I was so proud of my little community bonding exercise, so naturally I declared “I’m Cristina and I brought this microphone!” My boyfriend was the last person to introduce himself. His introduction? “I’m Chris and I brought this moron!” while pointing to me. HAHA, cracks me up every time!
I’m backkk! I haven’t posted in a whole week, which is rare for me these days. Some bloggers say that the first thing to go when their lives get hectic is their blog, but I’ve never found that to be true for me. Guess it was this week!
I have some exciting news and a few cool things on the horizon to share.
I know I said I was done talking about being laid off, but my article about 8 tips for when you get laid off was published on Brazen Careerist! I was so flipping excited to see my name on the site since I’ve been an avid reader for some time now. I consider it the creme de la creme of career blogs for young professionals. I’m a contributor to Levo League, which in turn contributes to Huffington Post and Brazen Careerist, so it’s been an amazing opportunity to have my work make it onto bigger sites. The post actually made it on Business Insider too- if you’ve been around for awhile, you’ll know it’s not the first time I’ve been on there.
In other exciting news, I head out on my cruise on Monday! Road trip to Jacksonville, boarding the Carnival Fascination, exploring Key West and the Bahamas, having Fun Days at Sea, sipping pina coladas- oh my goodness, I’m excited! See ya, nasty winter weather!
I’ve seen “5 Things Friday” blog posts circulating the internet and decided to join in the fun.
I got a food processor for Christmas and I’m SO excited to use it. In fact, I even Googled recipes that require a food processor and I’ll be doing a recipe roundup soon. If you have any suggestions for making good use of it, let me know!
I already announced this but I’m going on a cruise in less than a month! I can’t believe how soon it is! And speaking of cruises, one of my sister’s Christmas presents to me was a calendar with our funny quotes and pictures (many from our last cruise). SO funny!
I’ll be announcing some exciting news on my blog and social media next Tuesday (many of you may already know what it is or have guessed it). Excited to finally share
I get free Starbucks coffee all month because I bought a special tumbler during their 12 Days of Christmas back in December. Getting my money’s worth, no doubt! I’m a happy (half-caffeinated) camper.
And lastly, my sister and I are continuing our brown bag lunch series at HUB Raleigh and we’d love for you to join us! You can see the line-up and buy tickets at the HUB Raleigh Eventbrite page. I’m leading one this Tuesday on online productivity!